Permeable collagen membrane is specially developed from highly purified bovine dermal type I Atelocollagen for single and double layer tissue culture studies. It is particularly suitable for studying the molecular interactions between two different cell types by culturing on both sides of the membrane. It is potentially useful for the study of artificial organs and in the emerging field of tissue engineering. The membrane is permeable and allows free passage of amino acids and small molecules, which is important for the absorption and exchange of molecules through the membrane using cell polarity.
Characteristics of Atelocollagen FAQ
Atelocollagen is a collagen solubilized by protease, but its physical properties are virtually identical to those of natural, unsolubilized collagen. Furthermore, atelocollagen additionally has superior characteristics;----- More
1. Since the collagen membrane is fully permeable for small molecules, cells cultured on it can absorb nutrients, excrete metabolic wastes and release biochemical products across the membrane.The system therefore permits the long-term maintenance of cells similar to in vivo systems.The cells also have the advantage of utilizing its polarity for the exchange of molecules across the membrane.The system is particularly useful for cell differentiation and tissue engineering studies.
2. Since two different cell types can be cultured on both sides of the membrane, it is particularly useful for cell and molecular interaction studies.
3. The permeable collagen membrane is very suitable for basic studies and for the maintenance of artificial skin, artificial pancreas and other vital organs.
A. Cell culture on the one side of collagen membrane
B. Cell culture on the both sides of collagen membrane
1. Oyasu M, Fujimiya M, Kashiwagi K, et al Immunogold electron microscopic demonstration of distinct submembranous localization of the activated gammaPKC depending on the stimulation. J Histochem Cytochem.2008 Mar;56(3):253-65
2. Furuta A, Miyoshi S, Itabashi Y, et al. Pulsatile Cardiac Tissue Grafts Using a Novel Three Dimensional Cell Sheet Manipulation Technique Functionally Integrates With the Host Heart, InVivo Circ Res. 2006 Mar 17;98(5):705-12.
3. Orisaka M, Mizutani T, Tajima K, et al.:Effects of ovarian theca cells on granulosa cell differentiation during gonadotropin-independent follicular growth in cattle. Mol Reprod Dev, 73(6):737-44. 2006
Atelocollagen permeable membrane for 50mm culture dish