Inhibin is an endocrine hormone produced in the ovaries, the testes and the placenta. This hormone has several functions in the body, with inhibin levels in women being linked to the menstrual cycle and playing a role in fetal development. Another hormone, activin, has an action in the body opposite to that of inhibin. Levels of these two hormones tend to fluctuate in both men and women in response to a number of cues which can include changes in hormone levels triggered by natural biological processes, environmental pressure, and other factors.
RIA : 1/10,000 - 1/500,000
IHC : 1/1,000 - 1/5,000
WB : 1/1000 - 1/5,000
1) Hasegawa Y, Madarame H & Ibuki Y (1995) Inhibin and activin: Novel regulators for gonadal function and sexual maturation. Eds. Hibi I and Tanaka T, in:Sexual Differentiation and Maturation, P. 139-154, Ares Serono Symposia Publications
2) Kaneko H, Taya K, Watanabe G, Noguchi J, Kikuchi K, Shimada A & Hasegawa Y (1997) Inhibin is involved in the suppression of FSH secretion in the growth phase of the dominant follicle during the early luteal phase in cows. Domestic Ani Endocrinol 14: 263-271
3) Hasegawa Y, Madarame H, Yoshida S, Kaneko H, Abe Y, Mizunuma H & Ibuki Y (1997) Two-site immunoassay for native inhibin A. Eds. Aono T, Sugino H and Vale W in:Inhibin, Activin and Follistatin. P.104-117, Springer-Verlag
4) Kaneko H, Noguchi J, Kikuchi K, Akagi S, Shimada A, Taya K, Watanabe G & Hasegawa Y (2001) Production and endocrine role of inhibin during the early development of bull calves. Biol Reprod 65: 209-215
5) Kaneko H, Noguchi J, Kikuchi K, Todoroki J & Hasegawa Y (2002) Alterations in peripheral concentrations of inhibin A in cattle studied using a time-resolved immunofluorometric assay: Relationship with estradiol and follicle-stimulating hormone in various reproductive conditions. Biol Reprod 67: 38-45
6) Kaneko H and Hasegawa Y (2007) Application of time-resolved fluorometry to immunoassays for bovine reproductive hormones. Ani Sci J, 78: 7-15.
To be used for research only. DO NOT use for human gene therapy or clinical diagnosis.